Winters in Minnesota get cold… like really cold. So cold that anything with water or moisture will freeze over, including the ground and irrigation pipes. When water freezes, it expands and can crack or burst the pipes that contain it. This can cause lots of damage for homeowners. Because of this risk, it is extremely important to blowout/drain the water from irrigation systems and shut off the water.
Don’t forget to turn off your water.
Don’t forget to call a professional for a sprinkler system winterization.
Don’t wait until the ground already begins to freeze to schedule an irrigation blowout.
Don’t gamble and think your pipes won’t freeze.
Don’t try to do it yourself without fully understanding the risks and process.
Not winterizing your sprinkler system can lead to:
- Pipes cracking underground
- Pipes freezing and bursting
- Backflow preventer breaking
Trying to do it yourself can lead to:
- Using the wrong size compressor
- Pipes not fully being cleared of water
- Too much pressure being forced through the system
- Accidental injury
- Missing a step or forgetting to turn off the water
Call a professional
- They have the correct equipment.
- They are well versed in the different types of sprinkler systems.
- They are trained professionals in irrigation winterization and have done it many times.